It’s hard to protect kids online, because parents and educators often have a hard time finding resources that can help them understand the latest risks and recommendations. I’ve gathered a variety of information in one place so you can learn about antivirus, parental controls, and protecting your kids while using mobile devices and video games.
Kids’ computers are among the most vulnerable to security threats. That’s not to say your kids are doing anything wrong. On the contrary, they’re the victims. Not only do virus-writers like to booby-trap kids with malicious web sites, they also like to infiltrate legitimate ones. Kids are also at much at risk of identity theft as any Internet user. More so, because cyberbullying has become such a deadly and devastating menace.
These are resources every parent needs to know about how computer viruses and Internet threats work. If you have questions, please feel free to comment. You can also subscribe to Tech Tips by email and follow on Facebook. You can also follow @trionaguidry on Twitter.
- Related article: Get Your Kids’ Computer Ready For School by Triona Guidry (The Northwest Herald)
Antivirus And Security
- How To Create Secure Passwords (Revised Edition) (Tech Tips)
- What To Do If You Get A Computer Virus (Tech Tips)
- How To Remove A Virus From Your Mac (Tech Tips)
- What To Do If Your Computer Is Hacked (Tech Tips)
- What To Do If Your Email Account Is Hijacked (Tech Tips)
- How To Avoid Keyloggers, Ransomware, And Rootkits (Tech Tips)
- Why Hackers Attack Your Computer – And What You Can Do About It (Tech Tips)
- How To Avoid Malware On Mobile Devices (Tech Tips)
- Tools To Protect Your Smartphone From Malware (Tech Tips)
- A Grownup Gamer’s Guide To Kids And Video Games (from my personal blog)
Cyberbullying And Harassment
- FBI.gov: A Parent’s Guide To Internet Safety
- Kids.gov – Online Safety
- National Crime Prevention Council: Cyberbullying
- Stopbullying.gov: How Kids Can Keep Themselves And Others Safe From Bullying
- Your Webcam Can Be Used Against You (Tech Tips)